Saturday, January 8, 2011

Yo, that’s so SIC, B!

I just got back from Salt Lake City, host of the 2011 Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology (SICB) meeting. I love this meeting because I can learn a lot about crabs and reproductive physiology, but I can also learn about snakes that glide, armadillo development, and roboclams! (Yes, roboclams.)

the roboclam next to its inspiration, a razor clam

I also bumped into some Southampton College graduates (we’re a rare bunch, since the school closed a year before we graduated) and got to learn about locomotion and feeding in silver-spotted and tidepool sculpins from Emily Kane and FoxG expression in the brachiopod Terebratalia transversa from Carlee Resh.

SC represent!

I can’t wait to share all of the things I learned about crabs from this meeting, like how Florida fighting conchs (Strombus sp.) have evolved thicker lips to hypothetically defend against stone crab (Menippe sp.) predation! (You can read the abstract here.)

So stay crabby and stay tuned!

taking in the Salt Lake City sights:
my crab pin in Temple Square

my pin delighting in the pirate-themed luminary
ARG!

(Psst: check us out in the news: Juneau Empire!)

No comments:

Post a Comment