Friday, July 1, 2011

My spidey senses are tingling!

Sorry I’ve been on hiatus a bit. What with my husband leaving for his Russian field season and friends coming up from the lower 48 (not to mention lab work!) it’s been a bit hectic at the Snow Crab Love HQ.

My friend John is a fellow Southampton College alum and a science blogger. (It’s hard to keep myself from singing every time I read his Chronicles of Zostera!) He dives around Long Island and takes phenomenal pictures and video. Lucky for us, some of his subjects are of the crabby variety! Check out this spider crab (Libinia emarginata, I believe) munching on a sea nettle:



Pretty cute, huh? These guys have a special place in my heart because I sifted through THOUSANDS of them during my lobster survey days. Plus there’s been so much work with these guys involving methyl farnesoate that I feel like I know ‘em inside and out!

No comments:

Post a Comment