Sunday, February 9, 2014

Gettin' crabby in Oregon (part 3)

Are you guys ready for the final crab friend I found in Oregon!?!? Let's do this one more time:


Let's recap quickly: I was down in Oregon for our friends' wedding. The friends we were staying with treated us to a lovely walk on the beach and we were happily surprised to see a live smooth bay shrimp and a live purple shore crab! That would have been enough, but the next thing we saw knocked my socks off:

it's a MOLE CRAB!!!

Holy mole-y! (Ha!) I can't tell you how excited I was to see this guy! Unlike our two other friends, the mole crabs I found were, sadly, dead. But thrilling nonetheless. Mole crabs live in the surf zone and burrow into the sand backwards using their modified, trowel-like telson. This digging behavior is why they're called "mole crabs".

"Also because we are 6.02 x 1023 times cuter than any other crab" - mole crab

I just can't get over their unique body shape! It was such a treat to see these guys and a perfect way to end our trip in Oregon!

No comments:

Post a Comment